All of the details of running a cheerleading tryout can be a little overwhelming, but not if you have an itemized checklist of what you will need to be prepared for the big day. Here’s a sample checklist with links to more information to get you organized and ready for your tryout!
6 weeks prior
4 weeks prior
- Have administration approve tryout process, judging forms,etc.
- Select tryout date.
- Reserve the gym for clinics and tryouts (this may affect your date).
- Contact Varsity Spirit at 800-238-0286 or your State Director for judges.
- Contact your Varsity or CDT Sales Representative at 800-533-8022 to set up a sizing appointment.
- Find your Varsity rep!
2 weeks prior
- Submit morning announcements.
- Post hall announcements.
- Confirm judges.
- Confirm faculty help (tabulators, etc.).
- Make copies of applications, constitution, and other forms needed to apply. Tips on writing your squad’s
- Send information sheets and directions to judges.
1 week prior
- Get tryout material together. Ask your outgoing senior class cheerleaders to make up material or learn the cheers and dance on the Tryout DVD.
- Request judges’ checks (at some schools, this can only be done after the tryout).
- Schedule a pre-tryout meeting to talk about the upcoming season so both potential candidates and their parents will know what they are getting into before they tryout. Join a discussion about what to cover at the meeting.
- Pre-tryout clinic.
- Make copies of judging forms.
- Make numbers for candidates.
- Call or email judges to remind them of the tryout (Yes, they should remember, but the success of the tryout is ultimately your responsibility!)
- Confirm that the gym is open and the lights are on with school custodian.
- Set up the judges’ table.
- Post/announce candidates.